Friday, June 24, 2011

Kale

Kale has been all over bloggy-land since I entered it. Apparently it's super good for you. According to 8 million different internet websites that I'll let you google on you're own (come on, it's not that hard), it has anti oxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, helps fight cancer, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. Its chock full of nutrients, and really, you should be eating it.

Well, I've never had it. Sorry. My mom never used it growing up, I didn't even know it existed until a few years ago and I had 0 idea what to do with it - like bok choy. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?!?!?

My co-worker is like super Italian, you know, the type that eats that greens and beans dish? Greens = kale (and like some other stuff, I guess, I don't know, I've never had that either.)

SO! the whole point is, last night while she was boiling up some kale for herself, she text me and asked me if I wanted a small dish to try out. UM YES! I like healthy things!

I brought home the small tupperware of kale on my lunch. She had just boiled it and not seasoned it any way, so that I could do with it what I like. I pulled out a leaf and munched. hmm, tasted like plant. perfect. I rummaged through the fridge and cupboards.

FOUND IT!

I tossed some olive oil and a heap of garlic into a frying pan and warmed it. Then I threw in the boiled kale and some chick peas. warmed it through - into a bowl with salt and pepper. VIOLA! delish.

There's an intro to Kale folks. MM MM, good. If you are reading this and have a recipe for kale chips I will love your forever if you share it with me.

PS and BTW - happy Friday :D

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love kale! Bahaha, you're so right, by itself it just tastes like a plant. I like to saute it in a pan with a little oil and water, then season with salt, pepper, garlic, and then shred some carrot in with it, and throw in a tiny bit of mild onion. Yum!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Yum! I just toss it in the oven with some salt and pepper and olive oil to make kale chips, but I know there are much better recipes out there. I just like it crispy!