Tuesday, March 22, 2011

speed work

I'm pretty new to running, so speed work isn't really at the top of my list. However, I like speed workouts because, hey, who doesn't want to be faster? They also made the time go by faster and the treadmill more bearable through the winter months (which are apparently still going on. grr).

I had previously been doing sprint for one minute, jog for 30 seconds. Which is fairly challenging to this newbie. However, it was recently suggested that I try 400s. So today I did. On the treadmill.

Well, today was the first time I ever thought I was going to puke at the gym. HOLY COW, those were hard. I did 8. Although, to be fair, the last interval was more of a quick paced tempo than an actual sprint. I just wanted to be able to say I did 8. ha.

I'm hoping that in a week or two (probably a little too optimistic about this) I'll be able to do these on the track in the morning, (or even afternoon) once a week. Then I'll alternate with hill repeats since there are a lot of hills in the LAKE PLACID HALF MARATHON :) that is 10 weeks away :)

WOO!

1 comment:

misszippy said...

Great job! Quarters are HARD. And hills are a really great idea--you get stronger and faster from them.