Sunday, March 20, 2011

Long run and the best tuna salad E.V.E.R

Today's long run was 7.5 miles. I've been looking forward to it for days. My route was kind of hilly (yea def forgot about those hills on south main - during mile 4). However, it went really well! the last mile was pretty rough. But, i finished in 1:24:23. So that's an additional half mile from last week, and only an additional minute in time! woo! 11:15 pace. taking a rest day saturday instead of running a PR training 5K prooooobably helped in that respect.

The only other downside to this run was that it ended about a half mile from my house. When i planned it out that seemed fine - cool down, ya know? However, i reallllllly just wanted to sit down. My ankles were killing me. But, alas, I made it home. stretched out my legs and back, showered, drank the biggest glass of chocolate milk and iced my ankles until my toes turned blue.

I'm doing remarkably ok. my calves are sore, obviously. And I'll foam roll in a bit. But overall, i have fewer aches and pains than i did last week at this time.


So, I just ate lunch, and I decided to try a new recipe. I made Mediterranean Tuna Salad. I'd like to credit this recipie to the proper cook book, but I photo copied it from one of my mom's 8 million cook books and I have no idea where it came from. Generally, I'm not the biggest fan of tuna. I don't hate it, but I eat it because it's good for you. Honestly, I think the problem is, I don't really like mayo (traditional canned tuna preperation). However, problem solved here.

Here's how it goes:

2 6oz cans of tuna (packed in water)
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives

2 1/2 table spoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large tomatoes

Combine first 4 ingredients into a large bowl. Add lemon juice and next three ingredients; toss gently. serve over sliced tomatoes. 

**My modifications/suggestions** I used bottled lemon juice: I definetly recommend using fresh squeezed from the lemon. Also, next time I'll add more kalamata olives, because I freaking love them. If you are not an olive fan, a splash of lime juice or apple cider/red wine vinegar would probably add the "bite" you'd get from the olives.

As you can see below, I also added red leaf lettuce (that's what I had, spinach would also be excellent), and an english muffin. I made it into kind of an open faced deal. It was AMAZING.


2 comments:

Natalie said...

This looks so good! I also eat tuna because its good for you not because I particularly like it!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Great long run!! Runner's highs are wonderful!Thanks for sharing this recipe--I enjoy tuna but am picky about the kind!