Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Last Long Run and a Wicked Awesome Couscous dish

Well folks, today was the last long run of my first half marathon training cycle! woo!

I was not quite as peppy as I was after last week's 11 miler, the fact that it was already 72 at 7am when i started out prooooobably had something to do with it. I mean, that's like 20 degrees warmer than last week! wtf.

Dear Lake Placid,
Please be 55 degrees 2 Sundays from now.
kthanksbye.
Jen.


The run was pretty good. I did it at a park in Liverpool, NY - visiting the fam this weekend - so it was pretty flat. But dang with the hot! by mile 7 i was really just wishing it would freaking rain. It did not. In fact, 4 miles later the stupid sun came out. I was hurting by the last mile so I told myself i could do run walk intervals for .1 mile. However, I surprised myself by being able to sprint pretty decently hard during those .1 miles, even after I'd already trudged through 11. the sprint intervals got longer (and faster, what the hell is going on here?) as the mile went on. About half way through that mile my dad passed my on his bike and shouted words of encouragement. He probably thinks i'm wicked fast now, since i was like tearing up the pavement when he saw me. I assured him, when we were both back home, that I am not actually that fast all the time. ;)


12 miles done in 2:29:45. boom! I think I can manage LP's hills as long as it's not this hot. i freaking hate the hot even when I'm not working out. It should only be in the 70s in the afternoon, ever. grrr.


Now, let me share with you the best couscous side dish e.v.e.r. Cranberry couscous.

Before last night I'd never had couscous at all, but it seemed like something I would like - ya know, carbs.

Here's how the magic works on this one boys and girls:


Bring one can of chicken broth and a tablespoon of butter to a boil.

Stir in one box couscous, 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberrys, 3 chopped scallions.

Cover pot and remove from heat.

Let sit for 5 mins, fluff with fork - DEVOUR. 


omg, so freaking good. enjoy suckas!

I'm off to do nothing for a few hours, then shake out my legs by walking to the ice cream shop where my badass lil sister works :)

I'll catch you on the taper, fools! :)

2 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

This recipe sounds awesome! Great job on your run, especially in this heat!
:)

Unknown said...

Good job!Thanks for sharing such a nice post.
Business Logo Design