Sunday, April 3, 2011

cheerleading

Today's run was 8.5 miles.  1:36:13. 11:19 average pace.

Last week I didn't run a "long" run because I did a 5 mile race. so a little part of me was nervous going into this one. And I was trying out fuel for the first time. Last night I mapped out 2 4.25 mile loops, so that I could swing back by my apt for water and Gu Chomps.

Breaking up the run into loops was def an advantage: I'm almost home! I'm almost home, again! yay! haha.

At mile 2-ish I ran past Natalie's house. YAY! she met me outside in her fuzzy slippers to cheer me on. The whole route was peppered with hills. Which is the plan from here on out - have you seen the elevation profile for Lake Placid? I don't think they understand the concept of "flat." So, yikes.

Anyway, this whole run I just KNEW I could do it. Even during miles 6.5 - 8 when i was running into a headwind the whole time. I was (out loud) chanting "You got this, you totally got this." And I did "get it." WOO! Mental positivity definitely makes the run! The Gu helped too, the chomps were a bit annoying to chew while running. But, I could def notice a difference using it, as opposed to not.

I came home and tried out Jess's starfish pose for a good 10 minutes. I wasn't sure I'd get up again. A few more stretches and some ice and then I was a shivering mess and had to get in the shower. I hit up starbucks after "resting" and then got some work done. And am continuing to rest and lament the Yankees first loss of the season (boo hoo!)

Foam rolling coming up shortly, for like the next 100 hours. And damn my ankles hurt! I think I need to look into some arch support inserts. And perhaps a bit more practice of barefoot balance.

As a reward for my longest run of my life, Q and I are getting Asian cuisine tonight! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! can't wait. :)

No comments: