Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Will this be the week?

For a bit now, I’ve been trying to break :30 for a three mile time. I’ve almost gotten there. I’ve had two 3-mile runs lately at a 10:03 pace.

My last two runs were real confidence boosters. Faster paces for longer distances. win/win.

After monday’s run I decided this would probably be the week I’d break that 30 minute mark. I just have a feeling – which is good, since I really think this breaking the 30 minute mark issue is mostly mental. Even these close call runs I’m not finishing with my last ounce of strength – I’ve still got some juice left. So I really don’t see the reason not to hit my goal.

I plan to have a leg day tomorrow, so my goal run may have to wait till friday. But, I’ve promised myself that if I wake up with the real burn to hit that sub 30 mark, I’ll go for it. however, I’ve really been wanting a solid leg workout too.

Do you do your workouts by “feel” during the off season? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I find I often have a better workout if I get up knowing what the plan is. I like having a route planned.

2 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

This id definitely the week to make it happen,good luck!

Erin said...

Do you do your workouts by "feel" during the off season?

Yes and no. At this point in my running, I get overwhelmed by the thought of following a strict training plan, so I tell myself I'm just going to do what I'm going to do, by feel, whatever. But when I look back at my weeks, I'm essentially DOING a "training plan" - a semi-long midweek run, a long run on the weekends, several shorter runs during the week, and usually one "speed workout" (I've been doing a modified fartlek on the TM about once a week; 2/10 mi. @ 6.2mph, 1/10 mi. @ 7.5mph for about 3 miles). So...I'm not sure what the mental block about ACTUALLY following a plan is...