Thursday, November 24, 2011

The lonely holiday chronicles

The holiday's are, positively, the most annoying time of life to be single and pushing 30. Not because I'm actually lonely, but because everyone else assumes that I am.

uh, this post is not about running.

My sole new year's resolution for 2011 was to NOT date, for a whole year. I started out thinking this was a fantastic idea. Five weeks left in the year, it's an even more fantastic-er (yes, that's a word) idea. However, at this time of year I find myself constantly having to justify my choice to family, friends, and exceptionally rude and inappropriate barely-co workers who find it necessary to discover "what's wrong with me."

Not dating at 29 is the opposite of what most people set as a goal for themselves at this age, I realize that. However, for a myriad of reasons that are none of the internet's business, this was a positively perfect choice for me. Zero regrets. My reasons for remaining single are purely selfish, I'll openly admit it. I don't want to accommodate anyone else's needs. period. I've been doing that for years and not getting back what I've put in, so screw you relationships. If I want to be happy, it turns out, I'm the one who has to put the effort IN TO ME.

I find it very unlikely that I would've found the time or energy to devote to running and training and completing 2 half marathons if I'd been in a relationship. Those races are the highlights of my adult life thus far. Seriously amazing accomplishments, that I did, all by myself (with the support of loved ones and cherished friends, of course :) - see I can bring it back to running.

But really, this post is a rant. I don't want to meet your single friend. I don't want to talk about how I'm getting old and babies and shit. In fact, I don't even want to hold your baby or rub your tummy. What I want is for you to accept that this is the life that's making me happy and that, at the same time, I can be genuinely happy for you and your new/old marriage, and kid (as long as you don't talk about it CONSTANTLY). This is me. I run, I work, I have a cat, and I sleep alone, and I like it. So please, for this holiday season - stop asking me about my singledom. You put it off like there's something wrong with me, but likely you're probably just jealous that I don't have to justify doing what I want when I want to anyone else.

Happy Holidays, suckas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree... I'm single and loving it. I think people tend to think I'm unhappy with this lifestyle but to be honest I don't envy people with husbands/kids at all.