Tuesday, September 20, 2011

BadAss Before Breakfast

Let's backtrack a bit, since I didn't write about this week's long run yet.

Sunday was 11 miles. I remember last training cycle I struggled through my 10 miler, and slogged through my 10.5 miler, and on the day I ran 11 it was like breezing along. I finished with a smile on. Similarly, I finished Sunday's 11 miler feeling strong as well. I was actually quite impressed with myself, and much like last week, I kept telling myself to pull back the pace - this was supposed to be a LSD run, btw!

I run alone. But, I figure the pace is "conversational" if I can have a conversation, out loud, with myself. OR, sing along to the songs in my head or on my ipod. Usually i run long with music, just because it's a long time. However I only did half of this run with music due to low ipod battery. No biggie.

When I got home I did some comparing. It turns out that this 11 miler was on average 43 seconds a mile faster than my 11 mile training run in May; 9 seconds a mile faster than my 10 miler last week, and 35 seconds a mile faster than my half marathon in June. WHOA! and still, it felt "easy" as far as pace, effort, etc keeping in mind it was an 11 mile run. So, I am so stoked for that. This means I'm going to PR the living daylights out of this race. :)

On to today's run. This run almost didn't happen this morning. I was kind of excited to run in the morning, outside, because I bought this new wicked neon yellow shirt to wear for the dark morning runs. So, I get up and get dressed and go pee and realize I never plugged in (or turned off) my garmin after my long run on Sunday, or my ipod. So both are dead. Ipod is not really a deal breaker, because I often do shorter outside runs sans music. However, if the garmin is dead then I can run with the ipod's stopwatch figure to get an idea on pace. I almost didn't go. I told myself I can put the run off until the afternoon. Then I thought "this is dumb, just go run and enjoy yourself." OK! So I tied up my shoes and put my water bottle in the fridge and opened the door to run 5 miles.... and it was raining. I almost didn't go again. "Really, Jen, there's no shame in running in the afternoon." Then, I just walked down the stairs and started running. It was raining pretty hard by the time I finished. But, man, oh man was that a good run. I was trucking, and I knew it - especially at the end, when I really just wanted to be dry. I didn't stop to walk, I didn't feel like dying during the hills, I wasn't obsessing about how much further I had to go or how fast I was running. I just ran, in the rain, mostly smiling (though, it's hard to smile when rain drops are landing in your eyeballs).

I used mapmyrun.com when I got home to figure out how far i'd gone. 5.2 miles - yay, further than I expected! I checked the clock on the stove when I walked out the door, and when I walked back in. 54 minutes - including indecision time standing on the steps faced with rain, and a short walk after finishing to "cool down". Now folks, that is faster than my race pace when I ran a 5 miler back in March. Easy, breezy, beautiful! I felt really awesome. I'm so glad I did that run - in the dark, in the rain, with no pressure from "gadgets."

There's nothing quite like running in the rain to make you feel badass!


SupermomE12 said...

Great job on your runs! It is so much fun to see progress. You are definitely getting faster! I think you are going to see a HUGE PR soon! :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congrats on the 11 miler--and yeah, you are obviously going to PR like crazy!!!!